關於本會‎ > ‎

1. 教會歷史

2021/2/21
  台灣基督長老教會台南東門巴克禮紀念教會,創設於主後1903年5月,迄今已有118年(截至2021年)歷史。當時英國宣教師巴克禮牧師夫人,為關心新樓醫院工作人員,以及在宣教師家中擔任傭人們的信仰生活,借用台南神學校教師宿舍舉行夜間聚會,開設佈道所。三年後成為太平境教會支會,十八年後,於1921年3月9日才昇格成為堂會。

  在教會設教百週年紀念特刊裡,有專文記載教會沿革,紀錄創立及傳福音的型態變遷。大致上可分為五個階段:
  1. 創設期-開拓與設立 (1903~1926年);
    創設初期,牧會者均由英國宣教師兼任,這些宣教師都是神學校的院長、教授。這段期間不僅熱心宣教,也對當時落伍的不良風俗如纏足、吸鴉片、娶細姨等進行大力改革。
  2. 建設進展期-學生中心教會時期(1927~1944年);
    完成大禮拜堂的建設(在當時是南部最大的禮拜堂),並購買對面幼稚園土地一千多坪。這時期注重主日學的建設以及長榮中學、長榮女中住宿學生的傳道工作。學生每個主日參與本教會禮拜的活動,直到1972年才改在長榮女中禮拜堂聚會。在此時期經歷中日戰爭及二戰洗禮,信徒生活困苦及受壓迫。
  3. 轉型期-社區工業宣教,更新教會組織,推動工業傳道期 (1945~1993年);
    在此轉變時期,漸漸由學生傳道轉變為社區傳道,並走過P.K.U(倍加運動)的十年,注重全家歸主運動。
  4. 千禧年創新期-建設多元化教育大樓及e化視訊、三福傳道 (1994~2000年);
    在此時期注重社會關懷及愛護鄉土,並建築教育大樓來發揮教會更大的功能,發展松年大學及社區事工。
  5. 跨世紀宣教更新期-教會更名、社區服務、校園傳道及社區教育 (2001~迄今);
    2003年教會設教一百週年,為紀念巴克禮牧師,本會更名為「台南東門巴克禮紀念教會」。校園傳道方面積極參與品格教育的晨光教學;在社區教育方面開辦了兒童快樂週末營及致福益人學苑,對社區兒童及成人的福音傳播有正面的影響與成果。
  本會因位處新樓醫院、台南神學院、長榮中學及長榮女中之間,故一百一十八年來,與這些學校醫院之間關係非常密切。可以說東門教會是這些學校屬靈的場地,這些學校則是東門教會的資源。本會設教一百一十八年來,歷經十任共十六位牧師耕耘這塊上帝的葡萄園。他們分別是:
第一任 黃俟命牧師 任期 : 1927.12 ~ 1934.9
黃彰輝牧師令尊,台南中會首任議長。
第二任 潘道榮牧師 副牧任期 : 1930.4 ~ 1934.9
堂牧任期 : 1936.5 ~ 1940.3
先為副牧、再為主牧、潘牧師曾為台灣基督長老教會主日學主任。
第三任 楊士養牧師 任期 : 1941.1 ~ 1948.4
曾任台南神學院教授、南部大會議長、總會聖詩委員會主委、創作聖詩約33首。
第四任 梁秀德牧師 任期 : 1948.5 ~ 1955.7
曾任台南神學院教授,中會議長,晚年開拓數間教會於北部。
第五任 歐進安牧師 任期 : 1957.8 ~ 1976.3
曾任第8屆總會議長,在任近二十年,是牧會最久的一位,也是把教會帶向多方面進展的一位。 另聘有副牧陳主顯牧師(東南亞神學研究院倫理學博士,曾任台南神學院教授)。
第六任 陳崑南牧師 任期 : 1976.4 ~ 1982.2
曾任台南中會51屆議長。
第七任 陳博誠牧師 任期 : 1982.9 ~ 1987.7
曾任第32屆總會議長,總會教育委員會主委。
第八任 王明仁牧師 任期 : 1988.09.02 ~ 2006.12.11
另聘有羅啟宗牧師(現任子會德光教會牧師)及李王淑娟牧師為「教育牧師」。後來又聘柯從心牧師為「協助牧師」及鍾日欣牧師為「青年牧師」。
第九任 羅仁貴牧師 任期 : 2009.01.01 ~ 2019.10.31
曾任第59屆總會議長。曾聘莊松輝牧師為「協助牧師」一年;後來又聘陳樂仁、朱麗芳、李佳儒&李欣曄四位傳道師以及後來的廖聰翰、劉立仁、蔡家琦、王美書傳道師。
第十任 劉炳熹牧師 任期 : 2020.09.14 ~ 現任。

  本會一百一十八年來,共分設七間教會。最早是1933年,為慶祝設教三十週年,分設「高砂町佈道所」(即「南門教會」)。1936年,宋尚節博士來會佈道,興起傳福音熱忱而分設「後壁厝佈道所」(即「仁德教會」)。1961年分設「東寧教會」,以向大專師生傳福音。1963年,為慶祝設教六十週年,分設「後甲教會」。1976年,認養台南中會傳道部開設的「富強教會」。1987年接納「長榮教會」為支會,2003年設教九十週年時,再分設「德光教會」。這七間教會分設後,都非常壯大,這是母會的光榮。歐進安牧師曾這樣形容東門教會:「東門親像一隻老母雞,雖然落毛,猶久會生蛋」。這實在是上帝的恩典。

  在過去一百一十八年的歷史中,東門教會創造了不少教會歷史上的第一。例如:
  1. 在清朝時代,首先提倡改革當時的不良風俗,如纏腳、娶細姨、吸鴉片等。
  2. 這間禮拜堂在1926年落成時,是台灣最大間的教會,可容納500人以上。
  3. 台灣第一間設立女長老的教會,於1926年設立龔瑞珠和潘蘇秀二位女長老。
  4. 最早關心學生傳道的教會,並經營學舍施行學生宗教生活訓練。
  5. 1927年成立聖歌隊(當時稱東門教會讚美團),由長榮中學和長榮女中學生當中,特選音樂成績優良者所組成,這是當時南部教會首創和人數最多的聖歌隊,外國人稱台灣教會為「歌唱的教會」(Singing Church)由此而來。
  6. 台南中會首任議長係本堂首任牧師,即黃俟命牧師於1930年當選台南中會議長。
  7. 台灣第一間聘有二位牧師的教會,即1930年黃俟命牧師在任中,增聘潘道榮牧師為副牧。
  8. 台灣教會第一張鉛印週報:東門教會週報於1932年元月出刊。
  9. 本會出身之黃彰輝牧師於1949年就任台南神學院院長,這是第一位台灣人的神學院院長。
  10. 台灣基督長老教會第一位海外宣教師陳效贊牧師(父為陳金然牧師)係本教會出身,於1959年派往北馬登嘉樓宣教。
  11. 一間教會有三人擔任過總會議長,這也是台灣教會唯一的紀錄,他們是:歐進安牧師擔任第8屆議長,陳博誠牧師擔任第32屆議長以及羅仁貴牧師擔任第59屆總會議長。
  12. 1997年8月本教會出身宋泉盛牧師(曾經擔任台南神學院院長)當選世界歸正教會聯盟(W.A.R.C)的主席,這是第一位台灣人當選國際宗教組織的最高職位(該聯盟有164個國家的221個教會組織所組成,信徒約八千多萬)。

【設立伊莉莎白紀念教堂】
  本教會於1927年4月購得教會對面建地,1931年完成一蘇格蘭式紅磚建築,做為主日學教室,之後曾做為東門幼稚園教室及餐廳,直到 2011年7月東門幼稚園因故停辦之後,此建物閒置未再利用。2017年年初本會羅仁貴牧師規劃如何活化此建物,俾利宣教事工。為紀念巴克禮夫人伊莉莎白創立東門教會的貢獻,小會決定在既有建物架構下,改建成一座具有台灣本土紅磚建築與蘇格蘭風格融合的教堂,保留原有建物正面及後方牆面(牆壁因留有二戰彈孔痕跡,而具歷史意義)。本會莊明雄名譽長老及夫人林淑珠姊妹對此事特別有所感動,奉獻所有改建經費。紀念教堂於2017年7月開始動工,2018年5月初完工,命名為「伊莉莎白紀念教堂」,與對面的「巴克禮紀念教會」相互輝映。2018年5月20日適逢教會設教115週年,特地舉行獻堂感恩禮拜。
Simple History of Tainan East Gate Barclay Memorial Church

Tainan East Gate Barclay Memorial Church was founded in May 1903. Up to 2021, it has 118 years of history. At that time, the British Missionary Reverend Barclay’s wife, Elizabeth A. Turner, used the teachers’ dormitory of Tainan Theological Seminary to hold night gathering and set up a mission in order to care the staff of the Sin Lou Hospital and the faithful life to the servants in the missionary’s home. 3 years later, it became a ward of the Tai Ping Jing Church. 18 years later, it was upgraded to a church on March 9, 1921.

Regarding the history of the church, the centenary special issue records the changes of the formation and evangelism of the gospel.  It can be roughly divided into five stages:
  1. Founding Period ~ Pioneering and Establishment (1903~1926)
    At the beginning of the establishment, the pastors were all served by British missionaries, who were all deans and professors of the seminary. During this period, pastor was not only enthusiastic about evangelism, but also vigorously reformed the bad customs that were outdated at that time, such as foot binding, smoking opium and marrying 2nd wife.

  2. Construction Progress Period ~ The student center church (1927~1944)
    Completed the construction of the chapel (the largest chapel in the southern Taiwan at that time), and purchased more than 1,000 square meters of land in the opposite of chapel for using for kindergarten. During this period, attention was paid to the construction of Sunday school and the preaching work of the residential students in Chang Jung Middle School and Chang Jung Girls' Middle School. Students participate in the activities of the church every Sunday, and it was not until 1972 that they changed to meet in the Chapel of Chang Jung Girls' High School. During this period, the church members experienced the attack of the Sino-Japanese War and World War II, and they lived in hardship and oppression.

  3. Transitional Period ~ Community industrial missions, renewed church organizations, and promoted the industrial preaching (1945~1993)
    During this period of transition, student preaching was gradually transformed into community preaching, and through the PKU (double plus movement) ten years, Pay attention to the movement of the whole family.

  4. Millennium Innovation Period ~ Construction of diversified educational buildings, e-videos, and three blessings missions (1994~2000)
    During this period, we pay attention to social care and love for the countryside, and build educational buildings to give full play to the greater function of the church develop Silver College and community ministry.

  5. Cross-century mission renewal period ~ Change church name, community service, campus preaching and community education (2001~present)
    In 2003, the 100th anniversary of the church establishment, to commemorate Pastor Barclay, our church changed the name to be "Tainan East Gate   Barclay Memorial Church". Campus preaching actively participates in the morning teaching of character education; in community education, the children’s happy weekend camp and the Blessing People Academy have been offered, which have a positive impact and results on the spread of the gospel for children and adults in the community.

Since our church is located between Sin Lou Hospital, Tainan Theological Seminary, Chang Jung High School and Chang Jung Girls' High School, it has been closely related to these schools and hospital for the past 118 years. It can be said that our Church is the spiritual venue of hospital and these schools, and hospital and these schools are the resources of our Church. Over the past 118 years, a total of 16 pastors have cultivated this God’s vineyard. They are:

  1. The 1st Pastor Huang Ai-Ming ~ Term: 1927.12 ~ 1934.9
    He is the father of Pastor Huang Chang-Huai and had been the first Chairman of the Tainan Central Committee。In 1930 hired Pastor Pan Dao-Jung as the Deputy Pastor.

  2. The 2nd Pastor Pan Dao-Jung ~ Term of Deputy Pastor: 1930.4 ~ 1934.9
    Term of Senior Pastor: 1936.5 ~ 1940.3
    Firstly, he was Deputy Pastor and then became the Senior Pastor. He also had been the director of Sunday School of TPC.

  3. The 3rd Pastor Yuang Shih-Yuang ~ Term: 1941.1 ~ 1948.4
    He had been the professor of Tainan Theological Seminary; Chairman of the Committee of Southern Taiwan; Director of Hymns Committee of TPC & had created 33 hymns.
       
  4. The 4th Pastor Lian Sheu-The ~ Term: 1948.5 ~ 1955.7
    He had been the professor of Tainan Theological Seminary; Chairman of the Tainan Central Committee. He also created some churched in the Northern Taiwan.

  5. The 5th Pastor Ou Ching-An ~ Term: 1957.8 ~ 1976.3
    He was the Chairman of the 8th TPC General Committee. He has been in this position for nearly two decades. He is the longest pastor and the one who has brought the church to many aspects. In addition, the deputy pastor Chen Zhu-Sian (Ph.D. in Ethics of the Southeast Asian Theological Research Institute and the professor of Tainan Theological Seminary) was appointed.

  6. The 6th Pastor Chen Kuan-Nan ~ Term: 1976.4 ~ 1982.2
    He was the 51st Chairman of the Tainan Central Committee.

  7. The 7th Pastor Chen Bo-Chan ~ Term: 1982.9 ~ 1987.7
    He was the Chairman of the 32nd TPC General Committee and also had been the Director of Education Committee of TPC.

  8. The 8th Pastor Wang Ming-Jan ~ Term: 1988.09.02 ~ 2006.12.11
    Appointed pastor Luo Chi-Zong (current pastor of De Guang Church) and Pastor Lee Wang Shu-Juan as the "Education Pastor". Later, Pastor Ke Chong-Sin was hired as the "Assistant Pastor" and Pastor Zhong Ri-Shin as "Pastor for Young Guys".

  9. The 9th Pastor Lo Jen-Guei ~ Term: 2009.01.01 ~ 2019.10.31
    He was the Chairman of the 59th TPC General Committee. Once hired Pastor Tsuang Song-Hui as the "Assistant Pastor" for one year; later successively hired Chen Le-Ren, Zhu Li-Fang, Lee Jia-Ju, Lee Sin-Yue, Liao Chong-Han, Liu Li-Jen, Tsai Jia-Chi, and Wang Mei-Shu as the preachers.

  10. The 10th Pastor Liu Bing-Si ~ Term: 2020.09.14 ~ Current pastor.

In the past 118 years, our church has established seven churches. The earliest was in 1933, to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the establishment of the church, the "Takasago Town Mission" (current "South Gate Church") was established. In 1936, Dr. Song Shang-Jie came to preach, and he became enthusiastic about evangelism and set up a "Houbicuo Mission" (current "Jen De Church"). In 1961, the "Dong Ning Church" was established to spread the gospel to teachers and students in colleges. In 1963, to celebrate the 60th anniversary of our church, the "Hou Jia Church" was established. In 1976, we adopted the "Fu-Chiang Church", established by the Tainan Central Committee Mission Department. In 1987, the "Evergreen Church" was accepted as the ward, and in 2003, on the 90th anniversary, the "De Guang Church" was further established. After the division of these seven churches, they are all very strong. This is the glory of the mother church. Pastor Ou Ching-An once described our East Gate Church in this way: "East Gate is like an old hen. Although she sheds her hair, she will lay eggs for a long time." This is really the grace of God.

In the past 118 years of history, our Church has created many firsts in church history. For example:
  1. In the Ching Dynasty, it was first advocated to reform the bad customs at that time, such as binding feet, marrying 2nd wife, and smoking opium.
  2. When this chapel was completed in 1926, it was the largest church in Taiwan and could accommodate more than 500 people.
  3. Taiwan’s first church to establish female elders, in 1926, two female elders Gong Rui-Zhu and Pan Su-Shiu were established.
  4. The first church that cared about the preaching of students, and operated schools to train students in religious life. 
  5. The chant team (called the East Gate Church Praise Team at the time) was established in 1927. It was composed of students from Evergreen Middle School and Evergreen Girls’ Middle School who had excellent music performance. This was the first and largest chant team in the Southern Taiwan at that time. That is why the foreigners said our church is the "Singing Church".
  6. The first chairman of the Tainan Central Committee was the first pastor of our church, that is, Pastor Huang Ai-Ming had been elected as the chairman of the Tainan Central Committee in 1930.
  7. The first church in Taiwan to hire two pastors. In 1930, Pastor Huang Ai-Ming hired Pastor Pan Dao-Jong as deputy pastor.
  8. The first printed weekly newspaper of the church in Taiwan: East Gate Church Weekly was published in January 1932.
  9. Pastor Huang Chang-Hui, who was from our church, became the dean of Tainan Theological Seminary in 1949. This is the first Taiwanese dean of theological seminary.
  10. The first overseas missionary teacher of the Taiwan Presbyterian Church (TPC), Pastor Chen Siao-Chan (father is Pastor Chen Jin-Jan), was from our church and was sent to Beimadengjialou, Malaysia for missions in 1959. 
  11. Three people in a church have served as the Chairman of the TPC General Committee. This is the only record of the church in Taiwan. They are: Pastor Ou Jin-An as the 8th, Pastor Chen Bo-Chan as the 32nd and Pastor Lo Jen-Guei as the 59th Chairman.
  12. In August 1997, Pastor Song Chuan-Sheng (previously dean of Tainan Theological Seminary and also from our church) was elected chairman of the World Alliance Reformed Church (WARC). This is the first Taiwanese to be elected to the highest position in an international religious organization (the alliance has composed of 221 church organizations in 164 countries, with more than 80 million believers).

[Established Elizabeth Memorial Church]
Tainan East Gate Church purchased the land opposite the church in April 1927 and completed the original building in 1931 as a Sunday School classroom. Later, it was used as an East Gate Kindergarten classroom and restaurant until July 2011. At that time, the kindergarten stopped enrolling students and the building was not used for any special purpose.

In early 2017, the church minister Pastor Lo Jen-Guei began to plan how to activate this building for promoting evangelization.  In commemoration of the contribution of Pastor Barclay’s wife Elizabeth to the creation of the Tainan East Gate Church, the church committee decided to convert it into a Taiwanese red brick building and Scottish-style mixed church under the existing structure. But they retained the front and rear walls of the original building as it has historical significance due to the traces of bullet holes caused by World War II.

The Memorial Church began construction in July 2017 and was completed in early May 2018. It is named "The Elizabeth Memorial Church". This building reflects the structure of the Barclay Memorial Church across the street. May 20, 2018 is the 115th anniversary of Tainan East Gate Barclay Memorial Church so it held a special devotional thanksgiving worship. At the same time, a signboard was set up to cherish the ancestors' belief footprints and also thanks the honorary elder of this church, Dr. Tsuang Ming-Sion, and his wife, Mrs. Connie L. Tsuang, for their dedication to this ministry.